Teaching for Deeper Learning (Kentucky)
June 11 @ 8:00 am - June 12 @ 3:00 pm EDT$395
Presented by Harvey F. Silver and Jay McTighe
As educators, we want all students to learn deeply and well. Yet far too often, students attain only a superficial level of knowledge that fails to prepare them for deeper challenges in school and beyond. Why is this the case? And what can we do about it?
In this institute, Jay McTighe and Harvey Silver, authors of ASCD’s brand-new member book Teaching for Deeper Learning, will guide you through the what, why, and how of deep learning: What it is, why it’s so critical to student success, and how to make it work in your school or district. Together, Jay and Harvey will show you how to raise student achievement by establishing a deep learning culture—one that teaches all students the skills they need to make meaning, think conceptually, and transfer their learning to the real world
Over the course of this high-impact, two-day institute, you will
- Learn why teaching for deeper learning is essential for students’ success in today’s world.
- Examine and assess your school culture and explore the key shifts needed to establish a deep learning mindset schoolwide.
- Learn how to frame instruction around big ideas to promote conceptual thinking and transfer.
- Explore the seven meaning-making skills presented in Teaching for Deeper Learning.
- Choose your own breakout sessions—and take a “deep dive” into the meaning-making skills that you want to focus on.
- Build a repertoire of tools and strategies for developing students’ meaning-making skills.
- Work collaboratively to design lessons and units around deep learning experiences that inspire all students to do their best work.
- Develop an initial implementation plan with feedback and guidance from Harvey, Jay, and fellow educators.
Kentucky PD Credits
Kentucky Instructional Leaders will receive a certificate of attendance for completing 12 EILA hours.
Kentucky teachers can receive 12 PD hours for attending the full two-day academy.
This all-new academy will feature content from Harvey and Jay’s new ASCD member book!
Teaching for Deeper Learning: Tools to Engage Students in Meaning Making