No set of skills matters more in the classroom than the skills of designing curriculum and delivering instruction. This practical resource guide and instructional planning workbook will help you raise student achievement in your classroom or school by focusing on what matters most: crafting dynamic units and bringing them to life in the classroom.
Synthesizing the best research on effective lessons and units, Classroom Curriculum Design guides you through a series of tutorials (that spells out the acronym IDEAS) on instructional design and delivery.
- Tutorial 1: Identify your purpose using a planning tool called a Learning Window.
- Tutorial 2: Design your essential questions to pique student curiosity, guide teaching and learning, and promote deep understanding.
- Tutorial 3: Establish your assessment design by thinking through how students will demonstrate understanding before the unit (pre-assessment), throughout the unit (formative assessment), and at the end of the unit (summative assessment).
- Tutorial 4: Arrange the learning activities by selecting and sequencing appropriate instructional tools and strategies.
- Tutorial 5: Stop to review and refine your unit before implementing it in the classroom.